Undeniably the best sandwich to enjoy while summer home grown tomatoes are at their peak. Here’s just a little tip on making a classic even better!
What you’ll need for 4 sandwiches:
- 8 slices of good bread – crusty but soft
- 1/2 pound thick cut bacon
- 2-3 tomatoes (3-4 inch diameter – figure each sandwich needs 2 big slices)
- Red leaf lettuce
- 1 avocado, not overly ripe
- Lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, rough chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut bacon slices in half and place on foil lined baking sheet. Sprinkle generously with fresh ground pepper. Cook bacon in oven to desired doneness. Remove and place on paper towels to remove excess grease.
- While bacon is cooking, prepare Avocado/Basil Mayo:
- Slice avocado in half and remove pit. Scoop avocado into a small bowl and mash slightly, but making sure to leave small chunks. Drizzle with a little lemon juice. Add about 3/4 cup of mayo (you can always add more) and basil; stir to combine. Add salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cut tomatoes to ½ inch slices. If super juicy, place on paper towels for a couple minutes to drain. While tomatoes sit, lightly toast bread.
- Time to assemble:
- Slather about 2 tablespoons Avocado Mayo on the bottom slice of toast, and about 1 tablespoon on the top slice. Top with a little lettuce, then place tomatoes on top. Salt and pepper tomatoes, top with about 4 slices of bacon, and the second piece of toast.
- You have just created sandwich perfection – enjoy!