The Recipe Box – Recipe 12.0: BLT Pizza
Heirloom cherry tomatoes make this pizza look too good to eat! If not available, regular cherry tomatoes are just as tasty.
- 1 Pillsbury Refrigerated Classic Pizza Crust
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan, reserve 1/4 cup for sprinkling on top
- 2 cups thinly sliced escarole
- 2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes, cut into halves & quarters, seasoned with S&P
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 15” Pizza Stone or large cookie sheet, brushed lightly with olive oil
- Place pizza crust package on counter for at least 1 hour prior to baking.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack in middle position.
- Place bacon on foil lined cookie sheet. Top bacon with fresh ground black pepper and cook to desired doneness. When bacon is done, transfer to a plate with paper towels on it to drain excess grease. Cut into 1/4 inch pieces and cover with tin foil to keep warm.
- Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- oCombine mayo, grated Parmesan, shredded Parmesan and basil. Set aside.
- On a cutting board, stretch pizza dough to about a 13” circle, then place on prepared pizza stone. If using a cookie sheet, form a rectangular shape.
- Spread cheese mixture on top of crust to about 1/2 inch of the edge. Bake 12-15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden, and edges of crust are browned. Using a spatula, gently lift a section of the crust to make sure bottom crust is browned as well. Make sure to not under-bake crust.
- When crust is done, place on pizza stone on a cutting board. Sprinkle escarole evenly over crust, then top with tomatoes, bacon, basil, and remaining parmesan cheese. Cut into slices and serve immediately.