The Recipe Box – Recipe 8.0: Sweet N’ Spicy Maple BBQ Sauce
Sweet, tangy, spicy, smoky! This BBQ sauce is homemade, but super easy to make. Perfect on ribs or chicken!
Ingredients (makes about 2-1/4 cups):
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup Spring Tree 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/3 cup Regina Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Grandma’s Molasses
- 1 tablespoon Emeril’s New York Deli Style Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 teaspoons Trappey’s Louisiana Original Recipe Hot Sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Wright’s Liquid Smoke
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Optional: for some additional heat, add a few pinches of the following spices, but remember to taste before adding more!
- Ground cayenne pepper
- Ground chipotle chile pepper
- Ground ancho chile pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce just starts to simmer. Turn heat to low and cook about 10 minutes. Taste to make sure the sauce is at your desired “spicy heat” level, and add optional dry spices if desired.
- If not using immediately, refrigerate sauce in covered container. Bring back to room temp before slathering on your barbequed or grilled meat.