The Recipe Box – Recipe 7.0: French Toast with Orange Marmalade Syrup and Blueberries
A dense bread that is not too hard or too soft is the best choice for French Toast. Day old bread works well, also.
- 1 cup Maple Grove Farms Maple Syrup
- 3/4 cup Polaner Sugar Free Orange Marmalade
- 1 tbsp orange liqueur (optional)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, half & half, or milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp Member’s Mark Organics Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 8 slices (1-inch thick) bread
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and dried
- In a small sauce pan, combine syrup, orange marmalade, orange liqueur (optional) and cayenne pepper (optional). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook mixture on low for about 10 minutes until it has reduced slightly. Turn off heat while preparing the French Toast.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour into a shallow baking dish that is large enough for the bread slices to lay flat. Place slices on top of egg mixture and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Turn slices over and let sit 5-10 minutes more. (Gently press the bread to make sure egg mixture has soaked in.)
- Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add 3-4 slices of bread to skillet (don’t overcrowd) and fry about 3-4 minutes per side. You can always flip a couple times until nicely browned. (Better to flip and not burn!) When done, place on a platter and put in oven to keep warm while cooking the rest of the bread. Add another tablespoon of butter to skillet, and fry remaining slices of bread.
- Serve French Toast topped with a pat of butter, drizzled with the warm Orange Marmalade Maple Syrup, and topped with fresh blueberries.