Dog Blog 44.0 – Best Summer Ever
The phrase “school’s out for summer” doesn’t exactly apply once you’ve graduated, but don’t let it stop you from having the best summer ever!
Summer officially started a couple days ago, and here at YellowDog, we couldn’t be more thrilled about it! After an excruciatingly long winter, a nonexistent spring (it went from 40-80 degrees in the span of a week), and a jam-packed calendar of events, things are starting to slow down to a summer-style pace around here. While you won’t find us engaging in the “Summer Fridays” that are popular amongst the marketing crowd these days (it’s may be summer, but we still have work to do), we are just happy that the best season is finally here.
While we love the longer days, the balmy weather, and plenty of outdoor time, properly enjoying the summer becomes slightly more difficult once you don’t have a 3-month vacation ahead of you. This is why we’re sharing our exclusive Summer 2018 Do’s and Don’ts List. Share it, memorize it, live by it…and have the best summer ever!
Summer 2018 Do’s
- DO: Sit on your back porch/patio/front porch/screened-in porch/outdoor area and indulge in a nighttime cocktail. Maybe your mixology skills aren’t the greatest, but everything tastes better when you sip it outside! (Here are some suggestions in case you need some assistance.)
- DO: Go swimming. We are not talking about dipping into a pool for 3 minutes when you get too hot and refusing to get your hair wet. We are talking about frolicking around like you don’t have a care in the world, going down the slide with all of the 10 year olds, and making a fool out of yourself on the diving board. Not sure where to swim? You can find some locations here.
- DO: Take a road trip. Let us tell you from experience – long drives + a few mishaps along the way + eating crappy food + seeing weird places across the country = great summer memories. You may not appreciate it at the time (especially if you’re traveling with small kids), but some of the worst road trips make for the best stories!
Summer 2018 Don’ts
- DON’T: Live your life like you do the rest of the year. What’s your schedule during the colder months? Do you get up, go to work, go home, and go to bed? That’s fine when it’s time to hibernate, but when it’s summer, get yourself outside! Instead of eating lunch at your desk, head over to the park. Take a quick walk around the neighborhood after dinner. Dine on a restaurant patio. Enjoy the weather before it’s gone!
- DON’T: Be afraid to wear whatever you want. Once summer rolls around, we estimate that about 75% of people dread putting on shorts, and about 99.9999% of people dread swimsuits. This may be an over exaggeration (although we do feel a little self-conscious about these things ourselves). Hear us out, though: pants are not an option when the humidity is woof and it’s 100 degrees out, no one is paying attention to your swimsuit because they are busy worrying about their own, and who cares what other people think!
- DON’T forget to read some good books! Even if there is no beach trip on your horizon, you can always plop yourself into a kiddie pool in your backyard with a good page-turner (we’ve done it and it is way underrated!) Need some reading recommendations? Here’s some to try!
Now that you’ve scanned through our list, we hope you one of the best (or THE best) summers of all time! Maybe you’ll have one as epic as George’s: